One of the five deadly mistakes of home page design is poor use of copy and copy optimization techniques. When your home page says the right things in the right way, it will attract and convert more members of your target market. There are areas of home page copy that you need to think about and work on until it is optimized for your ideal clients. Here are some starter guidelines for each one:
Your headlines are going to be the first text a visitor to your website will read. It needs to be strong and compelling:
- It can mention the most desired benefit of working with you.
- It can arouse curiosity about what you’ll say next.
- It can be authoritative, commanding the visitor to take a specific action.
You can find plenty of advice on headlines online. I recommend these resources:
- 10 Sure-Fire Headline Formulas That Work and Warning: Use These 5 Surefire Headline Formulas at Your Own Risk”, both from CopyBlogger.com
- 10 headline formulas that work like magic, from Copywriting.com
- 5 Sure-Fire Social Media Headline Formulas That Work, from Pronet Advertising
- 10 Winning Headline Formulas …, by Daniel Levis