How many times have I heard someone tell me they wanted to write a book? Frankly, I’ve lost count. The reasons why they don’t act on their desire are many. I’ll address the three most common roadblocks to authorship here.
I don’t have time
You’ll never finish something you don’t start. Can you give your book 15-30 minutes a day? Three to five times a week?
The road to authorship doesn’t have to be done in large chunks of time, cloistered away in a woodland cabin. Break your book project down into manageable parts that you can write in short spurts when you’re sitting in the doctor’s office, or waiting in the car for someone, or wherever.
It can be hard to write a free-flow book this way, but a well-outlined book is pretty easy to do in this manner. All you need to do is tackle one paragraph at a time!
Who am I to write this book anyway?
Impostor syndrome is insidious. It hits almost everyone in some way, but most especially people who are intelligent and have integrity.
If you have the desire to write that book, write it. You are the only person on the planet who has your perspective on that topic. There are readers out there waiting to read your words (whether they know it or not).
Find a way to get through your self-doubt. Check out my video about Imposter Syndrome. It might help you.
I’m not a good writer
When I was young, my dyslexia made it really hard to learn how to spell. People would tell me that I could never be a writer if I couldn’t spell. They were wrong.
There are so many options for creating a well-written book, in your voice, without having to be a natural-born writer. Here are some ideas:
- Hire good editors. Once your manuscript is done and as polished as you can get it, have professional proofreaders and editors work on it. They can polish your prose without losing your voice.
- Hire a ghostwriter. This option can help you get around the “I don’t have time” issue, as well. A good ghostwriter will take your ideas and pull them together into a well-written book that still sounds like you.
- Take writing classes and get better at writing. This skill is learnable and you’ll get better with practice. Even though I’ve been writing for decades, I still read about the subject and practice my craft.
Authorship doesn’t need to be accomplished alone or in a vacuum. In fact, you will publish a better book when you have a team to support you.
No one will want to read it anyway
How do you know? They can’t read what isn’t available. So why not give it a shot? I’ve written five books so far. Some have been more successful sellers than others. But that isn’t always the point. You need to define what success in writing your book means to you. Then write and market your book with that goal in mind. All my books have achieved the goals I’ve set for them because of setting and following through with that intention.
More than at any other time in history, the dream of authorship is within your grasp. The gatekeepers have been cleared. The financial considerations have been greatly reduced. And there is more support for aspiring authors than ever before. If you have a desire to write a book, start writing now!
Would You Like Me to Help You with Your Book?
Would you like to write a book that supports and grows your business?
Would you like to write a book and build a business around it?
Would you like guidance and accountability while you write your book so that it gets done?
Then keep reading.
This summer, I invite you to join an intrepid group of entrepreneurs (and budding entrepreneurs) as they take their Authorship Superhero’s Journey.
I will personally guide you through the process of writing, publishing and marketing your book, as well as planning for related products and services. You will learn:
- How to identify your audience so that your book speaks to them and inspires them to work with you.
- How to plan your book in advance so that it practically writes itself and meets the goals you have for it.
- How to market and sell your book effectively so that you are seen as an expert and grow your business.
And so much more! I will address all aspects of the book writing process, from writing skills to how to organize your thoughts to planning your book, business and marketing and beyond.
I have successfully published five books, all of them meeting the goals that I intended for them. I will show you how you can do that too!
Become a Founding Member of the Authorship Superhero’s Journey
As part of this Founding member group, you’ll gain lifetime access to a special learning portal, a private Facebook group, and direct access to me. Future groups will not have as much personalized guidance.
This program is not for everyone, however. You need to
- Be prepared to work on your book project for at least one to two hours a week.
- Attend weekly group meetings (held on weekends to accommodate those who have day jobs).
- Commit to completing assignments in a timely manner.
- Invest six months to a year on this project.
- Provide feedback so that the program can give you better results.
You will also need to be able to invest in yourself and your project. Although this first group will receive a reduced fee for the program, it is still not inexpensive. In addition, the Founding Members’ group is open to the first 20 people who are accepted into the program. After those seats are filled, you can be put on a waiting list for next year’s group.
If you have heard your authorship call to adventure and are ready to start your quest to become a published author, I invite you to set up your application call today. You don’t need to do this alone. Let me guide you on your quest.
NOTE: To make sure that you are serious about this opportunity, there is a $50 fee for scheduling this appointment. If you are accepted into the program, that fee will be applied to your total tuition. If this is not a good fit for you, I will happily refund the fee. If you miss your appointment, your fee is forfeit.
Don’t let your book go unwritten.
Schedule your call today!